The XFL plans to reimagine football when they relaunch in 2020 and they plan on doing that, in part, by speeding up the game.
They have been testing out rule changes at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College so they can figure out if some of their theories would work out in an actual game.
Among the ideas being tested to speed up the game are:
– Minimize idle time by reducing play clock stoppage. The idea is to keep the play clock going throughout the game except in the final two minutes of the quarter.
– Dedicated Ball Spotting Official to prevent the game from being delayed when the ball is spotted.
– 5-Yard Halo on a punt return. No player can be within 5 yards of the returner when he touches the ball. The idea here is that this will reduce injuries while creating exciting returns on punts.
– Tiered extra points. There would be no extra point kicks. After a touchdown, teams can opt for 1 point from the 2-yard line, 2 points from the 5-yard line and 3 points from the 15-yard line.
– New kickoff. Players will line up 5 yards apart. Play starts when the ball is caught.
– Unlimited forward passes behind the line of scrimmage.
What do you think about these proposed changes? Sound off on our XFL News Facebook page by clicking here.
/ 1 week ago
Three months ago, we reported that FOX was interested in bringing on NFL tight...
The XFL is very much all-in on the gambling side of things, as the...
The XFL will be holding four pre-season games before officially kicking off their inaugural...